Sunday, January 25, 2009

DO YOUR JOB PART 1

One of the best (worst) places to experience people working at their jobs is Wal-Mart. No matter how much I endeavor to avoid the place, I end up their at least once a week. Some weeks I have to go more often and I don't really fret about it because in my view Wal-Mart is the modern day 5 and 10 cent store. They have everything! But I will not discuss the merits or demerits of shopping at Wal-Mart for now. But their employees are fair game!

The first person you see when you go to Wally World is the "greeter" (not counting the "buggy-boys"). Now I think this is a pretty valuable position. After all, it's your first impression of the store. But is this person hired to greet you or inspect you as you come through the door? Most of the time they ignore you with a few exceptions. If you speak to them they just look at you or maybe nod their head in your direction. But if you walk in with a Wal-Mart bag, they're on you like smell on a turd. But they still don't greet you, they just pull out their ammo bag of red stickers and shoot one on your bag and send you on your way. So here's the real reason Wal-Mart uses "greeters": they designed their stores wrong. That's right! Because they put the service area in the middle of the store, they had to put someone at the store front to let the patron know that Wally knows, you walked in with a bag to return.

But that's still okay if you just hire people who can smile, say hello and shoot red stickers at the same time. That does not sound too hard, but I never like to criticize unless I have walked in the other guys shoes. Maybe they should hire only Jehovahs Witness greeters. I have seen many of them smile, say hello and hand out a "Watchtower" magazine while people were slamming doors in their face. The point is that greeters are fine if they really greet. If they aren't going to greet and make me feel welcome, then they are a waste of money. They also do very little to enhance my visit to Wally World. And believe me, I need all the enhancement I can get when I go there.

That's all for today. Stay tuned for next time when we examine the "associate" working in the different departments.

No comments:

Post a Comment